Saturday, February 11, 2006

When Harry Met Sally

When Harry Met Sally - its so amazingly made; the stereotypical nature so shown, yet soo different in its style. have seen it a couple of times now. I am a sucker for romantic flicks ;-)
Oh and its a 7.7 - not many romantic ones score that high on imdb! gotta be something in there! And did I say Meg Ryan is my favourite :D

some dialogues appealed enough to make me sit and collect them here!

* {scene - both in car, Harry asking about her life's story!}
Sally : Nothing's happened to me yet. So I'm going to New York.
Harry : So something'll happen?
Sally : Yes.
Harry : Like what?
Sally : Like I'm going to journalism school.
Harry : So you can write about things that happen to other people.
Sally : That's one way to look at it.
Harry : Suppose nothing happens. Supposed you've lived your whole life and nothing happens to you. Suppose you never meet anybody, you never become anything, and finally you die one of those New York deaths that nobody notices for 2 weeks until the smell drifts into the hall.

{immediately after that}
Harry : When I buy a new book, I always read the last page first. That way, in case I die before I finish, I know how it ends. That, my friend, is a dark side.

{scene: just before entering the restaurant Harry tells Sally she ain't having good sex}
Sally : It just so happens that I have had plenty of good sex.

{scene: second meeting, sitting in the airplane, Sally is seeing someone for a month. Harry is getting married!}
Harry: You take someone to the airport, it's clearly the beginning of a relationship. Thats why I have never taken anyone to the airport at the beginning of a relationship.
Sally : Why?
Harry : Because eventually things move on and you don't take someone. I never wanted anyone to say "How come you never take me to the airport any more?"
Sally : It's amazing. You look normal, but actually you are the Angel of Death.

{scene: above scene only - on the plane - Harry describing the "life of a single guy" thing}
Harry : You meet someone, you have the safe lunch, you decide to like each other enough to move on to dinner. You go dancing, you do the white man's overbite; go back to her place, you have sex, and the minute you finish, you know what goes through your mind?
"How long do I have to lie here and hold her before I can go home?"
"Is 30 seconds enough?"
Sally : That's what you're thinking? Is that true?
Harry : Sure. All men think that. How long do you like to be held afterwards? All night, right? That's the problem. Somewhere between 30 seconds and all night is your problem.


{scene: While coming out of airport}

Harry : Would you like to have dinner?
Harry : Just friends.

Sally : I though you didn't believe men and women can be friends.
Harry : When did I say that?
Sally : On the ride to New York.
Harry : No, no, no, no, I never said that.
Harry : Yes, that's right. They can't be friends.
Harry : Unless both of them are involved with other people, then they can. This is an amendment to the earlier rule that if two people are in relationships, the pressure of possible involvement is lifted.
Harry : That doesn't work either because what happens then is that, the person you're with involved with can't understand why you need to be friends with the person you are just friends with. Like it means something is missing from the relationship and when it is they go outside to get it.
Then when you say "No no no no, nothing is missing", the person you're involved with accuses you of being secretly attracted to the person you're just friends with, which you probably are. C'mon who the hell are we kidding. I mean, let's just face it.
Harry : So we're back to the rule before the amendment: men and women can't be friends. Where does it leave us?
Sally : Harry.
Harry : What?
Sally : Goodbye.


{scene: 5 years after above airplane trip - Sally with 2 other women frnds - she broke up with Joe}
her friend : I'm saying that the right man that you might be out with right now , is out there. And if you don't grab him, someone else will, and you'll spend the rest of your life knowing that someone else is married to your husband.

{scene: some years later, with same friend (as above), both in a bookshop!}
her friend : He just spent $120 on a new nightgown for his wife. I don't think he's ever gonna leave her.

{scene: just after meeting in the bookshop. Harry is getting divorced and Sally has broken up with Joe}
Harry : What happened with you guys?
Sally : When Joe and I started seeing each other we wanted exactly the same thing. We wanted to live together, we didn't wanna get married because every time anyone we knew got married it ruined their relationship. They practically never had sex again.
It's true. That's one of the secrets that no one ever tells you.
I would sit around with my girlfriends who have kids and... actually my one girlfriend who has kids, Alice, and she would complain about how she and Gary never did it any more.
She didn't even complain about it now that I think about it. She said it matter-of-factly. She said they were up all night, they were both exhausted all the time, the kids just took every sexual impulse they had, out of them.

Joe and I used to talk about it, "We're so lucky. We have this wonderful relationship."
"We can have sex on the kitchen floor and not worry about the kids walking in."



{scene: walking in the city & a park discussing their dreams}
Harry : I had my dream again - where I'm making love and Olympic judges are watching?
I'd nailed the compulsories, so this is it: the finals. I got a 9.8 from the Canadian, a perfect 10 from the American, and my mother, disguised as an East German judge, gave me a 5.6. Must've been the dismount.
Sally : Basically it's the same one I've had since I was 12.
Harry : What happens?
Sally : No, it's... It's too embarrassing.
Harry : Don't tell me.
Sally : OK, there's this guy.
Harry : What's he look like?
Sally : I don't know. He's just kind of faceless.
Harry : A faceless guy. OK. Then what happens?
Sally : He rips off my clothes.
Harry : Then what happens?
Sally : That's it.
Harry : That's it? A faceless guy rips off your clothes. And that's the sex fantasy you've had since you were 12. Exactly the same?
Sally : Well, sometimes I vary it a little.
Harry : Which part?
Sally : What I'm wearing.
. . .
Sally : What?

Harry : Nothing.


{scene: talking over phone a long time after they stopped seeing each other.}
Harry : What are you doing for New Year's? Are you going to the Tylers' party? 'coz I don't have a date. And if you don't have a date, we always said that if neither one of us had a date, we could be together for New Year's and you know. . .
Sally : I can't do this any more. I am not your consolation prize. Goodbye.


{scene: At New Year party, after clock struck midnight, Harry reaches running the same moment Sally was walking out of the party}
Harry : I love that you get cold when it's 71° out.
I love that it takes you an hour and half to order a sandwich.
I love that you get a lil' crinkle above your nose, when you look at me like I'm nuts.
I love that after I spend a day with you I can still smell your perfume on my clothes.
And I love that you are the last person I wanna talk to before I go to sleep at night.

And it's not because I'm lonely or its not because it's New Year's Eve.
I came here tonight 'coz when you realise you wanna spend the rest of your life with somebody you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.

Sally : You see? That is just like you, Harry.
Sally : You say things like that and you make it impossible for me to hate you!
Sally : And I hate you, Harry.
Sally : I really hate you.
Sally : I hate you.

{sighing slowly and hugging and kissing!}



. . . oh and they lived happily ever after :">

Mood : feel like eloping with her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Music : soundtrack of the movie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home